Am Bathach is part of a traditional working croft where Hebridean Sheep can be seen grazing and running on the surrounding hills of heather. The cottage is part of an extensive refurbishment carried out on the original cow barn using traditional stonework and cedar logs from Pioneer Log Homes of Canada. Tastefully decorated using local tweeds and traditional furnishings complemented by modern appliances used in a contemporary way.
The area is world renowned for its stunning scenery, wildlife, food and drink and friendly local communities. Not so well known is the low rainfall and mild climate due to the Atlantic Gulf Stream, with glorious summers and beautiful long sunsets throughout the year. The dark sky is a stunning sight with the stars clearly visible, particularly here in Altass.
The cottage is situated in the small hamlet of Rosehall which is surrounded by magnificent salmon fishing rivers and trout lochs, woodland walks and a welcoming local hotel serving delicious food.
A perfect base for touring, being based midway between west, north and east coasts, where the varied coastline is a magnet for wildlife and birdwatching.
This holiday cottage at a glance
- Sleeps two guests.
- One bedroom with two double beds.
- One shower room.
- Babies welcome.
- Parking for up to three vehicles.
- Up to two well behaved dogs are welcome (small additional charge per dog), please keep on the lead in the immediate vicinity as hens and sheep wander freely.
- Minimum of a two night stay.
- Recently renovated using traditional stonework and cedar logs from Pioneer Log Homes of Canada.
- On-site is The Highland Shooting Centre.
- Use of two adult and two children’s cycles on request.
- Dark and clear night skies.
- Tastefully decorated using local tweeds and traditional furnishings.
- Kitchen includes gas oven with separate has hob, dishwasher, microwave and fridge/freezer. A further double drawer fridge & chest freezer can be accessed on request.
- Digital satellite TV with Freeview and digital radio.
- Large electric power shower.
- Travel cot and high chair available (please request).
- Garden accessed by double patio doors onto decking area.
- Garden furniture with charcoal barbecue.
- Large natural pond within walking distance, small children will need to be accompanied.
- The property is surrounded by wild croft land and open skies.
Attractions and nearby amenities
- The Highland Shooting Centre is on-site. Open to non-residents of Am Bathach, some activities may be audible from the property.
- Altass is easily accessible by road, 45 minutes from the nearest airport and city of Inverness. Approx flying time, 1 hour from London.
- Traditional Highland field sports, spa centres, crafts, historical and archaeological sites as well as many golf courses from small 9 holed to the world famous Royal Dornoch, one of the top ranked courses in the world.
- The hamlet of Rosehall is surrounded by magnificent salmon and trout lochs.
- Details for woodland walks and mountain biking, fishing, guided walks, archery, clay and laser shooting and stalking can be obtained from the owner via the booking office.
- Ideally located midway between the West, North and East coasts providing a magnet for wildlife and birdwatching.
- Whiskey distilleries nearby.
For additional inspiration on what to do within the area, please click here.