In association with Trinity House, Rural Retreats is pleased to present Lizard Lighthouse. Located on the Southern-most tip of mainland Britain, the six adjacent cottages of Lizard Lighthouse present guests with dazzling scenery and coastal walks right on the doorstep. Rare and beautiful flora and fauna make this cliff top location particularly special. The nearby Lizard Village provides shops, restaurants and a friendly pub only a short ¼ mile distance away.
Lizard Lighthouse is a fully working lighthouse, first established in 1619. The distinctive two white towers that it is known for today were built in 1751 by private entrepreneur Thomas Fonnereau, and first lit on 22 August of that year. Trinity House gained control of the lights in 1771 and continues to look after its operation to this day. It became electrified in 1924 and then fully automated in 1998. It has a 26 mile light range and an automatic 3 mile fog signal if conditions are misty.
Please be aware, this site is open to the public for lighthouse tours. If you are interested in arranging a tour, please click here for further information or call 01326 290202.